Oh, boy, do I LOVEEEEE blueberries! Seriously, they are so good, and so good for you! Here are just a few of the amazing benefits of blueberries:
- They have the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit. These little blue beauties are full of vitamins (A, B, C & E), iron, zinc, selenium, and so much more!
- Due to the high fiber content, they reduce bloating, belly fat, and aid in digestion. Yay!
- Help promote urinary tract health.
- Improve brain health (memory in particular)!
- They help to preserve your vision. Blueberries are high in compounds called anthocyanosides, which slow down the loss of vision, and help to prevent macular degeneration and cataracts.
How to choose your blueberries?
The darker and firmer, the better! Also, make sure the bloom has a whitish color, too!
I eat them plain, frozen, add them to smoothies, on top of oatmeal, in muffins, bread, pancakes, and now...in a tart! This tart is only sweetened by nature's goodness. Blueberries and honey! Yum! The pecans and almond flour give a really nice nutty flavor, too.
Blueberry Tart, serves 8
Crust & Crumble 1 1/4 c. almond flour 1 c. oats 1 tsp. baking powder 1/4 c. pecans (or walnuts), chopped 1/2 tsp. salt 4 tbsp. coconut oil, solid 1/3 c. honey
Filling 2 1/2 c. blueberries, fresh 1 tbsp. honey 1 tbsp. corn starch
Mix all filling ingredients together. Use your hands and fingers to form a good consistency. Reserve about 1/4 c., but place the remainder in a 10" cast iron pan (or equivalent if you don't have one). Press evenly until it looks like the above photo.
Gently mix filling ingredients, and place on top of crust. Sprinkle remaining crumble on top. Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
This is not an overly sweet dessert. In fact, it would probably be better suited for breakfast. Just sayin'. ;-)