Good morning! I decided to take a few days off from blogging, and am back today to ease back into the groove of things. I found this image on Pinterest, but the quote is something I read years ago that really stuck with me. It really makes me think about self-care, particularly how I love and am kind to myself. It is so simple for me to give others compliments and tell them I love them (while genuinely meaning it), but it can be so difficult to do this for myself. I've definitely got much better over the years, but occasionally I'll slip into the mentality of beating myself up for little mistakes, or worrying about the future, etc. Why do we (I say we because I'm guessing I'm not the only one) do this? The only answer I can come up with is that I am human, and as a human, sometimes I screw up. For me, the most important part is remembering to be kind and forgive myself, and hopefully receive some sort of lesson for growth.
I'm not a therapist, minister, or some sort of guru, but here are a few examples of loving things I like to do to show myself kindness:
- Give myself a compliment. This can be as simple as "My hair looks great today," to "You're a present listener."
- Ask for help. This is huge for me! Sometimes, just asking for help with the tiniest of things is the biggest relief.
- Give/receive a hug.
- Take a bubble bath, and relax.
- Write it out. Journal, blog, keep a gratitude list, these are all ways of letting it out.
- Get a massage.
- Do some deep stretching or yoga. Yoga is especially loving on the body, mind and spirit.
- Take time to make a delicious meal, and have fun while doing it! Not only does this feed my body, but it nurtures my soul.
- Most importantly, actually tell yourself that you love yourself!
These are just a few simple things I like to do to show myself love and kindness. What are some things that you enjoy doing? I'd love to hear!