Sooo, yesterday was my most read and shared post to date. Pretty crazy, since I felt like I just spewed my thoughts out, and didn't even proof it. Did you read it? Yesterday, I was as authentic and vulnerable as I could have been. I feel like I am pretty authentic in nature. I mean, I'm quirky, silly, emotional, sensitive, kinda klutzy, and wear my heart on my sleeve. But, that may be hard to see through a computer screen, huh? Anyway, I wanted to talk about authenticity today. What is does it mean to be authentic?
Webster's dictionary defines authentic as:
- Am I truly self-aware?
- Am I living my purpose? If not, am I striving to reach that purpose?
- How much time have I devoted to self-care lately?
- How often am I creative? <---For me, creativity is SOOOO important. If creativity isn't high on your list, insert what is.
- What do I value?
- Am I in fear? If so, what scares me?
I responded to these questions honestly, and for the most part was very satisfied and fulfilled. There were a few things that I wanted to approve upon, and these are things that for me should always be in the forefront of my mind.
What came up for you when you read these questions?
- Self-awareness. When the intention is set to be real and genuine, authenticity begins. Remember: baby steps.
- Live your purpose. Are you doing and being what you want? Do you even know what you want to do/be? Don't be afraid if you don't! Only in the past year or so did I hone in on my purpose. Also, this is alwayssssss evolving! Just as you are always evolving! A few ways you can figure this out: talk it out, write it down (what you love to do), pray/meditate, start coaching with me because this is one of my most favorite topics, create a vision board...
- Self-care, self-care, self-care! Nourish yourself, take care of not only your body, but your mind and your soul, too!
- Be creative. Creativity looks different for everyone. This doesn't always mean art! Creativity gets the juices flowing, and causes you to think in a different way. A few ways: write, speak, paint, take a class, brainstorm, re-invent your environment, DIY, so many ways to be creative.
- Trust your intuition. YOU, more than anyone else in the Universe, knows what is best for yourself. Part of authenticity is placing yourself in situations and conversations that are true to who you are. If something doesn't feel right, or doesn't vibe with you, trust yourself.
- Sit with your fear. Sounds counter-intuitive, huh? For me, when I sit with my fears, and what scares me, it usually dissipates shortly there after. Honoring your fears, and recognizing why they are coming up, helps to overcome them.
Lastly, we are HUMAN! We fuck up in a divine way! Sorry if that offends you, but there is no other word that fits the situation. We are perfectly-imperfect, and are here to learn and grow. As we change, we evolve, and so does our definition of who we are. For myself, who I was ten years ago is vastly different than who I am now. That doesn't mean who I was ten years ago sucked, I'm just a different, deeper version of myself now. Who have YOU evolved to?
Does this make sense? Does it resonate with you? I love your thoughts, so please share!