While it's kinda self-explanatory, but my definition is: the action of affirming a desired situation. Pretty simple, right? Sorta.
Say you want a new car. Not just any car, but a cherry red, 1956 Chevy Bel Air. Pretty specific, huh? Now think about WHY you want that car? Because it's pretty? Or because it brings you freedom to roam whenever you please, and can take you from point A to point B in a reliable way? Now say you affirm "I have a cherry red, 1956 Chevy Bel Air" over and over and over again, but you end up with a 2010 Toyota Prius. Think you'll be disappointed? Probably. Now, say you you affirm "I have a reliable, safe mode of transportation that brings me freedom." You may get that cherry red 1956 Chevy Bel Air, or the 2010 Toyota Prius, or something completely different, but you will get exactly what you need. I am a firm believer in that!
OTHER TYPES OF AFFIRMATIONS
- I am a beautiful, healthy woman.
- My relationships are joyous, and full of love.
- I am abundant in all areas of my life.
CAN WE AFFIRM BOTH POSITIVELY AND NEGATIVELY?
Absolutely! Words work to build or destroy, so when we are constantly saying something over and over again, imagine what is being created. Pretty powerful, right? Think about how you feel after you say something negative. For example, if you look in the mirror and tell yourself "I am so fat in these jeans," or "I am ugly," how do you feel afterwards? Any better? Yeah, I didn't think so. Now, think about when you're having a super awesome day, and you look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I am fabulous!" How do you feel? Pretty damn great, right? Yeah, I thought so.
BUT JEN, I JUST AFFIRMED SOMETHING POSITIVE, WHY ISN'T IT WORKING YET?!
When you repeat a statement it trains your conscious mind (the one you think with) to go in the right direction, but it is your subconscious mind that will take control. Also, take a look at the desire and power behind it. The feelings/results may come immediately, or it could take a while. Be patient, continue to be kind to yourself, and always remember: baby steps.
OH CRAP! I THOUGHT POSITIVE THOUGHTS ALL DAY, THEN THOUGHT ONE NEGATIVE THING.
You're not doomed! You're human! The best part about changing your thoughts, is that when negative things arise, we are so much quicker at bouncing back.
HOW TO USE AFFIRMATIONS
- Choose an affirmation that resonates with you; something that you feel passionately about.
- Be in the now! Keep it present tense. Example: I am abundant in all areas of my life now. Not tomorrow, not next month, NOW!
- Pay attention fully to the words you are saying, and the feeling behind it.
- No negative words allowed. Example: I am not sick. Instead: I am healthy and full of vitality.
- Reminders can be helpful! I love writing affirmations in journals, on Post-It notes, in my phone, etc. I am an extremely visual person, so I created the I AM printable (below) to take a peek at whenever I need a boost. Since I'm loving it, I thought I would share it with you! It's FREE too! :-)
Click here to download your FREE I AM printable.
There is so much that comes along with affirmations, and this is only a tiny snippit. If you have any questions, or would like me to touch on anything in particular, let me know!
ALSO, remember how I said last week that I have fun stuff in store? WELL, tomorrow is the beginning of my new ongoing series where I will be conducting written interviews! I am SUPER excited about this! I will be speaking with other bloggers, entrepreneurs, creatives, spiritual peeps, non-profits, small businesses, etc. Interviews will happen frequently (probably bi-weekly, but we'll see), and I already have several people lined up. They are SOOOO good, too! I'm so excited to share them with you! Come back tomorrow for my first one! :)