Hi friends! Today I am here to talk about intuitive eating. We, as humans, are intuitive by nature, and I feel that absolutely extends to our eating. However, we (myself included) don't always follow our intuition. Intuitive eating is the idea that when we listen to and trust our bodies, we are naturally led to a way of eating that is best for us based on an individual level. Who likes being on a restrictive diet? I see zero hands raised. Intuitive eating is the opposite of dieting. Dieting leads us to believe that there are "good" foods and "bad" foods, and when we don't follow our diet strictly, we often feel guilty, and end up eating emotionally anyway. No fun. P.S. I only know this because in the past, I HAVE BEEN THERE, way tooooo many times!
- Listen for your hunger. Often times people eat because of one or more of the following reasons: the clock says it is 6:00pm and that is "dinner time," our friends are eating so we should join them, out of habit, etc.
- Finish eating when you feel satisfied. On a scale of 1 (starving, belly completely empty) - 10 (full, stuffed to the max), I feel best when I begin eating at a 3, and stop at a 7/8. If we eat when we're famished, we tend to eat everything in sight, and very quickly and mindlessly. When we eat when we're not hungry, more often than not, this is emotional and on a deeper level. Something I always tell myself is "if you're still hungry in 30 minutes, eat again." This always helps, and 99% of the time, I am not hungry later on.
- Eat things that taste delicious, and make you feel nourished. Food is not only a source of energy, but it is meant to be pleasurable! I'm not saying every meal for the remainder of your life has to be a 5 star gourmet experience, but what I am saying is that it should taste good! Studies have shown that when we truly enjoy our food, whether it is a bowl of Brussel sprouts or a slice of chocolate cake, it nourishes us on a greater cellular level.
- Pay attention to how your body reacts. Notice how your body feels after you eat. Do you feel light with more energy, or sluggish and like you want to take a nap? Do you feel saisfied, or like you need to eat 20 minutes later? Any physical reactions (intestinal, headaches, etc.) may be a sign or an sensitivity or allergy.
- Trust yourself. We are all unique individuals, and we all require different types of food to fuel our bodies. What works for one person, may not work for the next (hence why diets don't work). Trust that your body knows what to do, and recognize when she will always provide you with the right nutrition.
Look at the photo above (taken on a trip to NYC with two of my favorite gal pals and fellow health coaches, Paige & Simi). This is me. All of me. I'm not a size 2, nor do I have rock hard abs. I have curves, soft skin, and strong legs. I eat intuitively, I am STILL on my own personal journey and have days where I "feel all the feelings," but most importantly...I am happy and healthy.
I hope this post was helpful! If you are interested in learning more about intuitive eating, health coaching, or just want to explore, I'd love to provide you with a consultation. Can't wait to chat!